ENTRY AND ACCEPTANCE:
Entries are online on the CSA portal and acceptance is on payment. No telephonic entries will be accepted.
Any paddler may enter if he/she has passed the Surfski Proficiency Test (RPT), has equivalent paddling experience and is also a registered and paid-up member of an affiliated canoe club and CSA and is Open Ocean Surfski Proficient as per CSA.
• The written acknowledgement by his/her club safety officer that he/she is competent to paddle in open ocean races if and where required by the race committee
• The wearing of a PFD (CSA approved). It must be bright in colour
• A leash in sound working order, and must be attached to the body and to a safe point on the craft, preferably the foot strap.
• The CSA number of the paddler of the craft to be affixed to the craft on either side of the front deck.
• A cell phone with enough airtime, a fully charged battery, the race emergency number loaded, in a waterproof pouch, housed in a pocket of the PFD, per paddler.
• NSRI SafeTRX loaded and activated on the cell phone.
• A whistle. Of the variety that can operate while wet.
• Brightly coloured clothing, including a cap (if worn).
• A minimum of 30% of the deck of the ski must be covered in a bright colored paint or a bright colored (preferably luminous) decal. Or, 1000mm of the nose and tail of the ski must be painted a bright colour).
• A bright coloured decal on the back of each blade of the paddle.
THE RACE SAFETY COMMITTEE RESERVES THE RIGHT TO STOP A PADDLER FROM PADDLING THE RACE, SHOULD WE DEEM THIS PADDLER NOT SUFFICIENTLY PROFICIENT OR EXPERIENCED FOR THE PREVAILING CONDITIONS.
NATIONAL SEA RESCUE INSTITUTE: SAFETRX smart phone app
RSA SafeTrx allows you to plan your journey on your smartphone. Directly from your smartphone you can enter your journey details and know that your journey is being tracked. Should you not return by the time given, your ‘emergency contact’ will be alerted via sms and advised to alert the Maritime Rescue Co-Ordination Centre (MRCC). You can download, test and read more on the app as well as watch the video here: http://www.nsri.org.za/safetrx/
The NSRI will marshal the safety for the race by way of two or three water craft.
Life Savers will marshal the surf zone.
Ambulance and Paramedics at the start and end locations.
Prize money will be allocated as per the prize allocation table and your age on 1 January 2023 will prescribe your age category.
You must elect which category you will be competing in. Eg. Juniors or Open, etc.
Pre-Race registration and goodie bag collection:
Friday evening at the EL Surf Lifesaving Club at Nahoon Beach from 16h00 to 20h00.
Race & safety briefing will be held each day at the “START LOCATION” unless stated otherwise via the event’s WhatsApp group. To join the WhatsApp group and get all race updates please click the following link: https://chat.whatsapp.com/HWVKX6xsaOWBtpppyHjZIW.
Scheduled for between 07h00 and 10h00 each day, but this is subject to change, depending on the sea and wind conditions.
POSSIBLE COURSES & DISTANCES:
The race organisers reserve the right to change courses and/or swap the days around should this be deemed beneficial for the race. The emphasis and plan is however to race Singles on the Saturday.
Conditions Start End Distance (Km’s)
East Wind Glen Eden Beach/Yellow Sands Nahoon Beach/Orient Beach 18/23
Cintsa West Nahoon Beach 25
West Wind Nahoon Beach/Orient Beach Yellow Sands 18/23
No wind Nahoon Beach (via Gonubie Bay) Nahoon Beach 22
Unsafe sea Orient Beach (harbour/sea circuit) Harbour 20
THE ABOVE IS ALL SUBJECT TO CHANGE DEPENDING ON CONDITIONS AND REQUIREMENTS AT THE TIME
THE FINISH AND PRIZEGIVING:
All post and pre-race activities, as well as PRIZE GIVING will take place at the EL Surf Lifesaving Club at Nahoon Beach.
Prize Giving is scheduled to start at 14h30 on both days, or one hour after the last paddler has finished.
Separate Prize giving for Singles and Doubles on each day.
THE ABOVE IS ALL SUBJECT TO CHANGE GIVEN THE REQUIREMENTS AT THE TIME
The EL Surf Lifesaving Club will provide refreshments.
Lunch/meal availability at the club, will be communicated closer to the time
BIOGEN are the anchor sponsor for the event.
Sub Sponsors are: Hansa, FENN, Seymour Properties, VQS , MOCKE
The event is hosted by the BORDER CANOE CLUB in East London.
Maps to the various start locations will be available at registration.
Race Director – Charl van Wyk, 083 447 1500
Race Administrator – Bernice van Wyk, 083 281 3425
Postal Address: Border Canoe Club, PO Box 8062, Nahoon, East London, 5241
Fax: 086 677 9721
All race information will be shared on the event Whatsapp group – be sure to join the group.
To join the WhatsApp group and get all race updates please click the following link: https://chat.whatsapp.com/HWVKX6xsaOWBtpppyHjZIW